forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self Script

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Self Script Reply with quote

I have decided to make a separate spin off app from Self Note called Self Script that runs a type of script saved in the EXE for personal use that does not have encryption. It works very nicely for simple things and I am adding new things almost daily.

I don't want to post it because it uses VDS syntax and I don't want to cause any problems. If anyone is interested in playing around with it send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

Your concern shouldn't be syntax. I've studied this particular issue, since you live in the US the language itself is not protected.

The slippery slope you face (not yet, but if your product becomes refined) is in your actual ownership of your VDS license. You absolutely cannot create a competing product (REGARDLESS OF SYNTAX!) from within the VDS language, I don't think you're anywhere near this. As far as simple macroing and algorithms go, I seriously doubt that your anywhere near encompassing the scope of the product.

In order to compete, you would have to market your product in a similar fashion to VDS and either take away profit from the VDS product in the form of Freeware (potential profits lost) or actual direct profits to yourself.

Now that's not to say you can just run off and make your own VDS in Visual Basic, there are other legal angles that can be taken, but syntax/grammer isn't one of them (in the US). Your main issue is whether or not you would hurt VDS profit margin with a similar product (that's competing) and they can instantly void your license (that's about the extent of ability they reasonably have).

That's why if the Java Interpreted version of VDS still worked in most browsers and became popular it would be practically impossible for CR to do anything, it's not a similar product even though it uses very similar syntax. VDS is marketed as a product that creates compiled client side applications, the Java Interpreted version does not match that description.

Now this discussion hasn't yet spoke to ethics. For small personal products / products with a twist to them (it uses VDS syntax, but all output is to a Notepad document, it uses VDS syntax, but is meant solely for [blank] should be viewed as benign. It is my opinion that such a javascript interpreter as mentioned above is not benign (ON A LARGER SCALE THAN WHAT OCCURRED, it didn't get too far) however I feel CR would be left without legal recourse had it succeeded.

[blank] examples
To extend an existing product with limited scripting built in, such as a popular MMO or a photoshop clone that does not include scripting.
To communicate with a specific piece of medical equipment that needs preprocessed scripted code. etc.

That's enough mental gymnastics for today. I'm gonna watch another episode of MONK.
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of it that way. Thanks. LOL

What I am planning on using it for is to create small launchers to make portable apps. Like portableapps.com. Right now I use either BAT files or a new VDS exe for each app tailored to specific needs. Using this makes it much easier and much faster....plus it's fun and keeps me busy when there is nothing else to do. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: