forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Twiiter or Facebook with VDS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Updating Twiiter or Facebook with VDS? Reply with quote

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone managed to use VDS with Twitter or Facebook ?

Like for posting messages/status for example?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marty

I started a project a while ago, trying to find it here somewere...

Basically, i have a php file on my server, that VDS posted data to and the php file then udpated my facebook page...

If i find it i'll let you know

Nathan
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woa. That would be nice. Maybe its possible to compile the php into an exe and then a VDS exe could call it with some parameters.

Anyway, will wait Smile

Thanks Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to include the php extension and a webserver like apache to do that. Pretty much pointless; you need to be online to post to facebook anyway so no point including php and apache when you can just run a real webserver online.

Have a server online with the php script is the best possible way to do that. You get the added benefit of being able to update the code on your server anytime without having to give end-users updated client exe's when you need to make updates to the facebook functionality.
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right.

The only thing is when the username and password are passed to the url, it will be clear.

But wait, maybe I could use vdsipp..hummm.. now getting my ideas to start going. Wink
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe facebook uses oauth, you cant pass a login like that; it will display a dialog to you where the person logs in, you get a token and then can update with a new post. Typically you use a browser window in your application to get the oauth token (a string of characters) that you pass back using a url. Check the facebook sdk to learn more - http://developers.facebook.com/docs/authentication/

You will want to use the CLIENT side oauth protocal. Also the first url needs to be done in a browser (you can use embedded ie control); it prompts the user from facebooks login page, that returns a token that you can use from that point on to post to the users page, etc. You can refresh the token later on incase it expires.

Asking a user for their username/password is strongly discouraged for most online applications now because of security/privacy risks.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a little confused about your Gui concept for this project, couldn't you just go embedded ie all the way for this?
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wanted an edit box on the UI of my application that could allow to let the user simple change their Facebook status. That way they could stay within the application instead of opening there browser.

There is many ways that it can be done I think.
webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Updating Twitter Reply with quote

I did it with twittermail. They allow one account free I think. It's basically an email address then I used vdsipp to send that address an email and used the subject line as the twitter update I wanted to send. Works well. Now if I could just figure out vdsipp mail attachments I would be in business. What it says to do in the help file doesn't work unfortunately.

Kevin

SLC now available for Linux...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: