forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XML support
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. It works pretty well and I think it will be quite useful. You can also load XML files directly from a web server by putting an http:// URL for the filename. In fact, almost anywhere VDS 5 can load a file, VDS 6 will be able to read from a web server. It won't be able to write back to it, though!
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
VDS 6 will be able to read from a web server

Thats even more interesting Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules wrote:
In fact, almost anywhere VDS 5 can load a file, VDS 6 will be able to read from a web server. It won't be able to write back to it, though!

Why will VDS 6 not be able to post back to the web server if the web server can handle http post or put methods Question
That's ok I know how to post data directly to web servers even if it uses client side certificates and SSL with VDS 5/Gadget.dll/plus a couple of ActiveX controls. So I don't understand why you would not be able to with VDS 6? I would be happy to share with you the ActiveX controls I am using and how to call them if you like. The ActiveX controls are all native core controls to Windows so you would not need to package them or register them with VDS.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is not the intention to replace the functionality of external DLLs that allow you to do that. Getting a file from a server is directly equivalent to reading from disk. Posting to a server is not the equivalent of writing to disk. You can't generically update a file back to a web server by doing HTTP POST. Therefore it would not be appropriate to allow a URL in a LIST SAVEFILE command, for example.
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about adding basic TCP/IP (client) support? That way, you can implent your own protocols for doing things like sending POST commands to update XML code on a server... Smile
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the VDS Internet Suite does. I don't think CR is about to cut off potential sales of that by building its capabilities into the basic product.
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules is correct, a post command is simply just that - it posts data to a file on a webserver. The file on the webserver (typically a script - asp, php, cgi) has to interpret the data that was sent to it and then decide what to do with that data - usually save it to a database, file etc. It is the job of the script on the server to handle the actual writing of any data.

If something like that were added into VDS people may get the assumption the command should handle the entire writing of data even on the webserver when it's just not possible without a script on the webserver end. Webservers can be configured in many different ways - some choose to use ASP, some choose to use PHP, some use CGI, etc etc. VDS is for the most part self contained, adding in features like this would break out of the self contained aspect and may confuse more people then what it's worth.

If you really require posting data you can always use one of the tcp dll's available, or write up a dsu which handles http posts.
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the only issue I have with all the current DLL's that give HTTP abilities is the fact that they do not offer SSL/HTTPS. So that is why I went the route that I went. Anyway you are correct that the POST method requires a script to run on the server to handle the request. Well you know it was just a thought. I can't see doing half of something and not all of it. Really it does not matter to me too much.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VDSIPP should support ssl/https. It requires a seperate dll found on the Indy website. I coded in the calls to include ssl support (I did not test it though) so it may work, you just need to get that dll off the Indy site and include it in the same dir as vdsipp. The ssl dll is actually linked off of Indy's website due to export restrictions the US imposes on encryption at a certain level.
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGWare,
You said this before but I never could find the correct DLL. Also I never seen any examples so I was not able to figure it out. Besides I figured out how to access the Windows certificate store and apply the cert that way. Sorry for most things I need documentation and there is none to be found about this mystery Indy DLL. It must be a Delphi thing Wink

Give VDS a new purpose!
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the mystery shall be unraveled :

http://www.indyproject.org/SSL.iwp

As I said I never tested this but I did add in the code and ssl handler for SSL/https support, it may or may not work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Wish List All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: