forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmonckton
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: HELP! Reply with quote

I haven't used my VDS 5.2 for two weeks but now when I try to compile my project the IDE just hangs and I have to use the task manager to kill it. I haven't change the script from when it was working. Has there been a Windows update that could cause this?

Regards

David.M
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a corrupt file? I'd uninstall and then reinstall.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes changing the name of the output executable will help. Not sure why.
dmonckton
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I am able to compile other scripts ok so I don't think there's a problem with the VDS IDE. The project has one main script and four included files with function and commands defined. You say it may be a corrupt file, but which one? I have attached a screen dump of the IDE hanging up showing how far the compile has got without any errors.

Thanks

David.M

System_Hang.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  356.18 KB
 Viewed:  1670 Time(s)

System_Hang.jpg

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I would suggest opening notepad, copy your source files from the IDE to Notepad and then save them under new names. Delete the original files, then open all the new copies, change file name references and try compiling. If all goes well, then it was a corrupt file issue, if not, then I'm at a loss.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one last thing.. If compile is failing at the same point, the same file, then check that file for any errors, such as code format or extended characters that might need a @chr() instead, or look for mismatched quotes etc.. go through it with a fine toothed comb.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still thinking it's a error writing to the output executable, and not with the preprocessor or linker. I'd try outputting the executable to a new location on your physical hard drive.
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think cnodnarb is correct. Disable your antivirus temporarily and see if that solves it. It may be locking up the executable preventing further writes while it scans it.
dmonckton
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

OK, problem solved, but not easily! I found an old backup of the project on my work PC which did compile. So I spent the weekend slowly updating the code and compiling all the time. The program is now finished and working better than I thought it would.

Sadly this will be my last VDS project as I'm jumping ship to Python. I don't want to but as VDS has been killed off it makes sense.

I'll be back to visit every now and then to see if you managed to buy VDS off it current owner and get it going again.

Thanks for all the help

David
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I don't think I would buy it at this point and I don't think he would sell it anyway. I've since moved to Visual C#, its overall a much better language and its really not that hard to transition to; in fact I find it easier to VDS in a lot of ways. Plus Visual Studio has a free version and it is one of the best IDE's available.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if he just sold you the language itself and not the source code?
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmonckton wrote:
Sadly this will be my last VDS project as I'm jumping ship to Python.

By chance did you find an IDE/GUI designer setup that is almost as simple and easy as VDS is? If yes, could you share the link for us here?

I haven't found too many other setups that were as simple to use. I looked at Python long ago as a potential replacement, but you had to find your own IDE and GUI designer. It was not a simple drop in replacement for VDS at all at that time.

I've looked at:

KiX (For logon scripting but very capable and has GUI module)
Rebol (looking dead now)
AutoIT (Vicious forum community)
AutoHotkey (Actually not bad at all)
Gui4Cli (Cool and not bad at all)
RapidBatch (Was looking to be a good possible replacement, then died. I think they open source'd it on sourceforge)
LiveCode (Great for general programming needs)
PureBasic (Great for general programming needs)
BlitzMAX (On it's way out)
VisualBasic (Actually not bad)
Visual C# (PK is adept at programming so yeah, VC# would be his thing)

And many others that I've looked at. But not one has come close enough to be a drop in replacement for VDS. AutoIT, AutoHotkey and Gui4Cli can actually fulfill just about all the needs a VDS'er might need and PureBasic can too, but PureBasic can get a little complicated depending on the needs.

I pretty much use VDS if what I need doesn't exceed it's limits, then I also use PureBasic and LiveCode. But I'm always open to trying something else, at least once. PK tried to get me going with Visual C#, but my crusty old brain just wouldn't take to it. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm actually still looking for a good drop in replacement for VDS here and if anyone has something that might fit it's place, drop us a link or two here.

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett wrote:

Or for that fact, simply released the language itself from copyright to open source. Not the source codes though, because I do know that there are some components that are commercial and cannot be released due to their licenses.

PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without source its mostly pointless, cannot make changes and updates to it without a foundation. I don't have the time or desire to rewrite a programming language and an IDE from scratch. Adding new features and fixing bugs is more feasible.

Garrett wrote:
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, understood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: