forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VDSMysql.dll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_Fletcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think so.
I just go to a DOS screen, change to the mysql\bin directory and at >
prompt. login using mysql >mysql -127.0.0.1 (for localhost) -u username -pPassword Database name the press enter.
That logs me in and then use SQL query to get data from the data base.

I want to get VDS Script to get the data but thats the problem I'm trying to solve and failing miserably with Crying or Very sad

Should I have some other softerware in place first ?

Regards
Andy Fletcher

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:
Are you using any MySQL frontend program to actually view the databases on you MySQL server.

Nick
nick
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy:
I develope and manage databases for the company I work for and I have found the following MySQL GUI to be the best.

http://www.webyog.com/

It is free for 30 days and then I think it is $40 to register.

MySQL has there own GUI. It is free but not quite as good as the above.
Find info on the free one here:

http://www.mysql.com/products/mysqlcc/index.html

These GUI's allow you to connect to your MySQL server and to view, alter, add and basically manage the server in a Windows friendly environment.

Best Regards,
Nick
Andy_Fletcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick I'll check them out tonight and see how I get on.
I assume your suggesting to use either of these as a way to set the database up properly.

The challenge for me is to build a Management system with VDS and as part of that I have to get it to retrieve, add and update Data. So altimately I really want to get the script to work as it should do.

Still the Windows GUI will be brilliant for getting the initial data in and organised.

Have you managed to use the VDSmysql.dll successfully yet ?
Have a go and see how it performs and then let me know what you were able to acheive. Question

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:
I develope and manage databases for the company I work for and I have found the following MySQL GUI to be the best.

These GUI's allow you to connect to your MySQL server and to view, alter, add and basically manage the server in a Windows friendly environment.

Best Regards,
Nick
nick
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy:
Quote:
I assume your suggesting to use either of these as a way to set the database up properly.

Yes. These GUI allow you to easily see what is actually going on in your databases/tables when writing VDS apps. You can also easily manage user privleges etc.

Quote:

Yes. I have played around with it and have also built experimental apps that displays query results using the vdsobj GRID element. I have written all of our business apps in vds. I use the vdsodbc dll for database query. Unfortunately I don't think the dll is available any longer. The vdsodbc has a grid element that can be bound to an sql query.

The biggest problem with the vdsodbc dll was that the help file was in machine translated Russian and it is extremely hard to understand (it took me about 6 months to really understand all the functions).

I would probably stay away from any non-production version of MySQL.

Best Regards,
Nick
Andy_Fletcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Thanks Nick. I'll put a few hours in tonight after work. Jsut one other thing. Should I still delete the mysql 4.1.0 and install 3.23.0 instead ?

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:
Quote:

Yes. These GUI allow you to easily see what is actually going on in your databases/tables when writing VDS apps. You can also easily manage user privleges etc.

Quote:

Yes. I have played around with it and have also built experimental apps that displays query results using the vdsobj GRID element. I have written all of our business apps in vds. I use the vdsodbc dll for database query. Unfortunately I don't think the dll is available any longer. The vdsodbc has a grid element that can be bound to an sql query.

The biggest problem with the vdsodbc dll was that the help file was in machine translated Russian and it is extremely hard to understand (it took me about 6 months to really understand all the functions).

I would probably stay away from any non-production version of MySQL.

Best Regards,
Nick
nick
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy:
Quote:
Should I still delete the mysql 4.1.0 and install 3.23.0 instead ?

That's a good question. I probably would. Although you may want to install one of the GUI's we discussed first and see if there is some obvious problems in the mysql database (specifically the user table). You could also see if the data that you inserted into the database using your vds app is actually there. I always stick with production releases only because I really don't want any unanticipated results. If you do downgrade to 3.23 be sure you use the 3.23.58 or greater version. The previous versions had a secruity flaw that has been fixed in 3.23.58.

Let me know how everything works.

Good Luck,
Nick
Andy_Fletcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick, I'm on it now. Let you know how things go tomorrow.

Also noted you other comment about using GRID elements. Hadn't known about that so was going to get results into a list box element instead.

I take it you would recommend the VDSOBJ.dll then to get results in ?

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:
Quote:

That's a good question. I probably would. Although you may want to install one of the GUI's we discussed first and see if there is some obvious problems in the mysql database (specifically the user table). You could also see if the data that you inserted into the database using your vds app is actually there. I always stick with production releases only because I really don't want any unanticipated results. If you do downgrade to 3.23 be sure you use the 3.23.58 or greater version. The previous versions had a secruity flaw that has been fixed in 3.23.58.

Good Luck,
Nick
Andy_Fletcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whow!!!! Very Happy
I can't believe it, The GUI you recommended (The Sharewhere on) just helped me do everything so much easier. I would have taken weeks to acheive thisa level of organisation if I had to type out each one in DOS.

Thanks so much for that advise.

Tried the Mysql GUI but is did not work at all, complete rubbish.

Now I am going to try and run my scripts again and see what happens.

Fingers crossed eh! Rolling Eyes

Many thanks Nick.
Andy Fletcher

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:
Quote:

Good Luck,
Nick
Andy_Fletcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Well guess what, The Gui worked brilliantly and mysql is all nice and tidy.
But I still get error 27 at the line "dll mysql,query,@dlgtext(equery)"
when I put a simple "SELECT* FROM applics" into the box.

You'll not I'm useing the custom dll rather than the updated VDSmysql.dll cause that just did not work at all.

I'm so annoyed, how come its just this command that won't work. it's like I can put data in, move it about, change it what every. But when I want to read it again Bammmmm Nothing Error 27 Mad

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:
Quote:

Good Luck,
Nick
Tommy
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For managing MySQL databases I would try MySQL-Front which is entirely freeware:
http://www.mysql-front.de/
That's what we use for maintaining the VDSWORLD database.

Unfortunately currently I'm unable to comment on the VDSMYSQL DLL problem as
I'm very busy with work.

Regards,

Tommy

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:

Best Regards,
Nick
Andy_Fletcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: re: Mysql GUI Reply with quote

Many Thanks Tommy, appreciate the help and guidance you have already ggiven me and totally appreciate how busy you must be.
When ever you get time please do revisit this topic as I find you input invaluable.

Note:
I did try the freeware mysql gui but it crashes on mysql 4.1.0 alpha running on XP so had to go for the shareware version which I have to say worked brilliantly. No problems at all.

Now I have a nicely set up database in terms of Grant tables etc.

Now all I have to do is get this flaming VDS query command to work on the "Select" statment which is the only part that seems not to work.

Don't work to hard now Tommy
Regards
Andy Fletcher Rolling Eyes

Tommy wrote:
For managing MySQL databases I would try MySQL-Front which is entirely freeware:
http://www.mysql-front.de/
That's what we use for maintaining the VDSWORLD database.

Unfortunately currently I'm unable to comment on the VDSMYSQL DLL problem as
I'm very busy with work.

Regards,

Tommy

nick wrote:
Hi Andy:

Best Regards,
Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: