forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RSS Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> News/Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy
Admin Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: RSS Support Reply with quote

Support for RSS (Really Simple Syndication) has been added to VDSWORLD. RSS is a way to provide news to users in a uniform way. Users can subscribe to RSS newsfeeds using RSS Reader software. The software periodically downloads the .rss file from the website and displays new news items it discovers. RSS feeds are available for new VDSWORLD files (the latest 10) and new VDSWORLD forum posts (from the last week).

RSS readers are Checkup tools and form a standardized alternative for the VDSWORLD Checkup tool. The current Checkup tool will be modified to utilize the new RSS feeds, but becomes obsolete if you use an RSS Reader program.

Last edited by Tommy on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
jwfv
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome! I love RSS - but I have just started using it on my Mac at home via Safari (Apple web browser.) But I will definitely begin using it on my XP laptop now.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which...

I recently made an RSS client in VDS 5 with VDSIPP.DLL

I'll upload it with source during this week so anyone
interested can play to their heart's content. Smile

-Garrett
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent tommy!!!

serge

Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: RSS Support Reply with quote

I've been using RSS extensively through Firefox, like this:

Of course this way is not instantaneous at all, since Firefox doesn't run in the background. To provide almost realtime notifications, like the old Checkup tool, all kind of RSS-suites and Start Menu tile-apps exist, but I found most of them quite bloated.

After seeing a third-party app that uses the Windows 10 action center sidebar for notifications, I searched and found the same for RSS:
http://balloonrss.sourceforge.net/
Even though it's quite old and existed before the Windows 10 action center even existed, it plays nicely with it:

Having found this seems to defeat the need to update the old Checkup tool with RSS-functionality. Perhaps it will be useful for some of you. I also use it for receiving some webhosting server state related notifications.

Tommy wrote:
The current Checkup tool will be modified to utilize the new RSS feeds, but becomes obsolete if you use an RSS Reader program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> News/Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: